Thursday 1 August 2013

Protein-tastc!

Tonight's dinner - I am almost having protein rush!  I know the meat-free mince hasn't been available for a few weeks in the supermarkets, but I have had two bags from Morrisons in my freezer all this time, and had no inspiration as to what to do with it.

Having been on holiday the last week, I am now even more on a mission to Buy Less with regards to food for the coming month, and am determined to use up most stuff in the cupboards/freezer/fridge before I do another big shop.

So, tonight...


Firstly, I made a sauce:
  • Around 70g of tomato purée (half of one of those small 142g tins from Morrisons)
  • A little grated ginger from Tesco (I have no loyalty... though they are at least giving me fantastic dairy free cheeze)
  • 2 tablespoons of tamari
  • Half a cup of spinach (I would have used more, but it was all that was left after an emergency shove in the freezer post-holiday)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 teaspoon of yeast extract (Meridian, with added B12, not that Marmite stuff)
  • 1 chopped onion

I didn't use any oil, salt, or garlic as there is already both rapeseed and vegetable oil in the mince, as well as salt, and garlic powder. (There is also already onion powder, but I love onion, there can rarely ever be too much.)

For the mince, the packet says to heat up 15ml of oil - instead I heated up around a cup of water, stirred the mince for 5mins or so, then worried it wasn't cooking the way it was supposed to and drizzled over around 5ml (a teaspoon).  I emptied around half of the mince into a plastic container, to keep for tomorrow night's dinner, before stirring in the sauce.  Finally, I boiled up around half a pack of green noodles.  Once boiled I split them between two plates for my partner and I, and then the mince and sauce was poured over them.  There was so much mince!  I could have done with a little less, and added some garlic bread instead.

Protein count (approx.):

Mince: per 1/4 pack = 22.7g (yeah, I'd say I had about that)
Tomato puree: per 100g = 4.3g
Ginger: per 100g = 1.4g
Noodles: per 100g = 11.4g
Yeast extract: per 100g = 43.5g
Onion: per 100g = 1.1g
Spinach: per 100g = 2.9g
Tamari: per 100ml = 10.3g

At my lazy guess, I'd confidently say there was about 30g of protein in that.  Not too bad!



No comments:

Post a Comment